Thursday, May 22, 2008

Important Lessons Learned


Some very useful business and life lessons that I have learned are centered around 3 words: 'Thank You';'Humility.'

Years ago, I was very fortunate to have been mentored by a CEO.

We had crossed paths when he got 'bumped' and the papers he was carrying flew. The person who had done the 'bumping' just walked away.

Maybe this gentleman would have received more 'respect' had he been in a suit and tie. I don't know. All I know is that I was the only one who stopped to help him.

About a half hour went by and all of his papers were picked up.

He put out his hand and said, 'Thank You. Do you have a business card?'

I said, 'You're welcome and yes I do.'

He said, 'May I have one?' So I gave him one, wished him all the best and left.

About a month went by and I received a hand written invitation inviting me to a power broker club.

The invitation didn't ask me to make an RSVP. I was told that I was to be expected.

So I went.

That meeting changed the way that I would view and perceive money, power and connections.

I was introduced to certain members as 'this was the only gentleman who stopped to help me.'

Every step of the way, I was told, 'We need people like you at our organization. Give me a call.'

For 6 years of my life, I was shown in various ways, what makes up leadership: an ability to say, 'Thank You' and the humility to know that things sometimes don't go your way even though you do everything right.

Those 3 simple words, 'Thank You';'Humility' changed my outlook and has enabled me to maintain relationships and go beyond my ego.

Just in case you're wondering: The business relationship ended when this individual died from a brain aneurysm.

'You don't know when or how you're going to go; you just know that you will and that you'd better live your life as full, as meaningful and enriching as you can without hesitation or regret.'

No comments: